I’ve been thinking deeply about the idea of doing a Patreon campaign, and it’s very tempting. However, my mind keeps trying to route me towards other solutions, and one of those is rather interesting.
Essentially, one of the ideas is to set up my own store for my stories and books, and charge something like 99¢–$2.99 USD for select stories while offering others for free. I could also go through sites like Smashwords, but they pay quarterly, not monthly like I would need. I wish they would change that, but…meh.
If I go with Patreon, I plan on only having four tiers of pledges: $1, $5, $10, and $30 USD. The $30 tier would start out with only four slots, though I might add more slots and/or tiers later on—I’m considering a $50 tier as well. Here’s what I’ve got for rewards:
- $1 Pledge: Early access to stories (2 weeks minimum).
- $5 Pledge: Early access, 1 Raffle Entry for the monthly Patreon story, 1 raffle entry for a monthly icon.
- $10 Pledge: Early access, 2 Raffle Entries for the monthly story/icon, option to be included as a cameo in random stories.
- $30 Pledge (4 Max): Early Access, access to WIPs, one monthly story of 3,000–4,000 words. (Possibly add art to this later.)
- $50 Pledge (1 Max): Early Access, access to WIPs, one monthly story of 5,000–6,000 words, option to be included as a cameo in stories. (Possibly add art to this later.)
Of course, my milestones are somewhat…far-fetched at the moment, but this is what I’m looking at:
- $100 Monthly: I can transfer my Office 365 subscription to my own name, and buy Manga Studio or Paint Tool SAI. More art!
- $250 Monthly: I can begin looking into buying a tablet for self-illustrated art to go with my stories. Will prioritize getting an actual tablet PC for this task.
- $500 Monthly: If I haven’t already gotten one, I’ll buy a tablet PC to use for art. If I do have a tablet, I’ll look into getting an all-in-one desktop PC for art and story writing. Full month of book writing, with WIP access to everyone!
- $1000 Monthly: I can work full-time on my stories and art without need for relying on others. Helps to pay bills and other things. Some patrons will be thanked in the special thanks section of my books, while high-tier patrons would have the option to make cameos in certain books.
So…What am I going to use the money for? Well, here’s my list so far:
- Office 365 subscription ($10/mo)
- Manga Studio or Paint Tool SAI ($60 USD for the former, $50 USD for the latter, one time)
- Tablet PC for art (???)
- All-in-one desktop PC for art and writing (???)
- Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 ($70 USD + tax)
And that’s what I have right now. That’s all I have going through my mind at the moment, too. I’ll post another update if I figure out anything else.